« Home | Ghee » | Masala Puri » | Sheero or Sooji Ka Halwa » | Corn Snack » | Chai » | Gatta-Nu-Shaak » | All Else » | Kaush Nu Rasodu » | Soups and Rotis » | Bharatiya Cuisine - Varities of Apna Des »

Sunday, February 19, 2006

Kheer

Kheer. Just the word reminds us of the last time we had one and for me, it has been a very very long time. So today mom and I were just arguing about what to make for dinner and going over all kinds of dishes when out of the blue I said, "Mom, how come you never make kheer anymore."
Mom: "Do you wanna eat it today?"
"You'll make it?"
Mom: "you are leaving tomorrow, so let me make it today itself"
Aaah mom! Sometimes I like living away from home, coz everytime I am home, she makes sure that the menu contains dishes that I love. And ofcourse, to everybody else's dismay, I love what everyone else in the family doesnt like as much :) My little brother is always whining about how she never makes anything HE likes to which she always says, "well you don't live away from home do ya?" :-D

So here is the recipe of Kheer the way my mom makes it, and the way I learnt from her :) Mothers are the greatest!

Ingredients:
1/2 cup rice (wash and soak for about half an hour)
a little more than 1/2 a gallon of milk
2 tbsp ghee
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp elaichi/cardamom
slivered almonds (optional)
cut cashews (optional)
a few strands of kesar
some dried raisins (optional)

Method:
1) Heat the ghee in a heavy bottomed pan and add the rice to it.
2) Gently roast rice just for a few seconds
3) Add the milk to it and cook it at medium heat till the rice is done. It is okay for the milk to boil a little but make sure the rice doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan
4) Once the rice has puffed up and is tender and cooked, add the sugar, elaichi, almonds, cashews, and kesar
5) Stir for about 10-15 minutes for the flavors to catch on.
6) Garnish with a few strands of kesar

Serve warm, cold, or any way you want! Chilled is best.

Variations: Lots! You can pretty much customize your kheer any way you want! You can skip all the other dry fruits and just add almonds! A popular fav in my family is adding pistachios to the kheer. Any amount of dry fruits can be added to it as well. There are several people who also add bread to it! Don't ask me why or what it tastes like coz I haven't had the guts to try that till now! Someday!

I like my kheer chilled! Makes for great dessert and is a surefire heart-winner.

Published in the Dessers, Drink, Sweets category.

A Note to Remember: Good cooking is more about using the right ratios than using the right quantities. Each hand its own dish! Eat away!

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

first !!!

7:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

now lemme read d recipe

7:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well even i follow this same age old mommy's ke recipe....n hey even i like chilled kheer

7:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I luv kheeeeeer....

12:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey Mehak dekho great minds think alike!

Me too DJ I just had some last week which prompted this post. Now you can make some too!

1:07 AM  
Blogger JS said...

Thanks for this recipe, this blog will come so useful and like ricky's food blog later, when I will have to start my own life, will try these dishes , thankies

12:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice site!
[url=http://uogofzdb.com/odns/zmoo.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://snuhhhgo.com/xfbb/ruxu.html]Cool site[/url]

3:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done!
My homepage | Please visit

3:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great work!
http://uogofzdb.com/odns/zmoo.html | http://fhdvtbfk.com/gnok/pceg.html

3:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking for information and found it at this great site... » » »

8:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home